Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Big Two-Oh in Ecuador

My birthday has been super fantastic here. On Thursday, Andrés, Carlos, Jero, Juan Andrés, Deanna, Lacy, and I went bowling and then had dinner at CCI (a mall). It was the first time Deanna and Lacy met my Ecuadorian friends and the first time we all met Juan Andrés (Andy’s best friend). On Friday, we went to CEA (Católicos en Acción—the group of Catholic university students that Kelsey and I go to on Fridays), and they gave me a birthday card and a welcome to the group bookmark.

Saturday was the best. First, Kelsey and I tried and failed to find a book we need for our lit class. Then we made our way to Mall el Jardín and met up with Deanna and Andrés. Carlos and Jero met us there shortly thereafter. The six of us then headed to karaoke. We sang “Livin la vida loca,” “Total Eclipse of the Heart,” “Everybody” (yes, by the Backstreet Boys), “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” and “Barbie Girl,” along with some latina songs I don’t know. From there, we went for dinner in Quicentro (a different mall). They surprised me with birthday cake—complete with candles. They also proceeded to try to get frosting all over me. Lacy had a field trip for her geology class but met us at Quicentro, as did Pablo from CEA. After dinner, Kelsey, Pablo, Andy, and I went to the airport to pick up my dad. Eventually, my dad showed up and met my friends. They left, and he and I took the shuttle to his hotel. From there, I took a taxi home. When I got home, I found a really sweet card that (I found out) Kelsey had bought, snuck around the group throughout the day so that they could all sign it, and put in my bag while I was in the bathroom. I was so happy/touched that I cried.

Today (my actual birthday), Dad, Meche, Gonzalo, and I went out for lunch in centro histórico. Some of the roads were closed because apparently Prince Charles is visiting Ecuador. We stopped to watch his limo drive by. The restaurant where we ate lunch was kind of funny because their logo is someone in the traditional semana santa parade garb, which looks a lot like the KKK outfit. For dessert, someone dressed as such came out with a torta de maiz with a candle in it for me. My dad found it quite entertaining.

Overall, I had a fantastic birthday. I love my friends so much, and I’m very glad to have my dad here for the occasion.

1 comment: