Thursday, January 29, 2009

La Playa

Last weekend I went to the coast, specifically to La Playa Casablanca in El Same, Esmeraldas (a province). To get there, I had to take a trolley and then walk to the bus station in Quito, ride a fairly nice bus for eight hours to Atacames (another city), and ride in the back of a pickup truck for about fifteen minutes to our hotel/resort. We traveled in two groups based on class schedule, so several people were there before I got there. Before I got there, two girls almost drowned in a rip tide. So, obviously, we did not go too far out when we went in the ocean. Despite that, I really enjoyed the beach. It was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, and the waves weren't too rough. It reminded me of being in North Carolina where my family vacations every summer. I thought it was pretty cool to be hanging out in a bathing suit in January.

Getting home was a bit of an adventure. The woman who was supposed to drive us back to Atacames misunderstood us and was a bit late picking us up. Plus, we had the bus schedule wrong, so when we got to the bus station, we had to wait two hours for the next bus. So, a couple of us wandered around Atacames, taking one last look at the ocean and checking out the local shops. I liked hanging out there for that short amount of time, but I'm very glad we did not stay there the whole weekend. It was a bit sketchy, dirty, and crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment