Saturday, January 17, 2009

Protests, protests everywhere

On Thursday, the president of Ecuador Rafael Correa gave his State of the Union address. Many people in Ecuador do not like Correa because of his left-leaning views, alliances (or at least friendships) with Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela, and his lack of action against Colombia. So, there were several protests this week. I only saw one. It was for women's rights and was very peaceful.

Similarly, this week is the inauguration of Obama. I'm interested to see how much impact this historic day is going to have in Ecuador. On a related note, I want to encourage all of you to visit The Virtual March for Equality. This is an issue that is very important to me. Even though I'm in Ecuador, I still care about injustice in the US. ...That's all for my soapbox for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment